Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Getting busy . . .

Wow, my life is getting busy all the sudden.  I am now the treasurer of two different college clubs.  One of them keeps asking me to go to more and more events.  At least I get a free dinner out of one of them.  I've just discovered my cost accounting will be more difficult to get an A in than I previously believed.  I am still looking for a job to pay for food and a proper church to join.  On top of that, I am involved in court cases involving bankruptcy and an ex-wife.

Why am I putting that in a Victorian candy making blog?  It is just to say my entries may not be as frequent as you or I would like them to be.  I have not abandoned the project.  From time to time, my focus may be drawn away.

Be that as it may, here is where things stand right now regarding candy.  I am in the process of downloading a treasure trove of on-line historic cookbooks, including The Complete Confectioner from the 1850s.  I have read two histories of candy with some fascinating results; and from these, I am putting together a candy timeline, a candy temperature chart, and a future reading list.  I still have not found a sugar boiling pan I am happy with.  From all the texts I have read, the pan needs to have a heavy bottom, to be nonreactive, and to have sides at least 4-5 inches high.  I will probably go to the local restaurant supply store soon to see if I can find anything.  I also need to stop at the Home Depot to see if I can purchase some marble scrap as my cooling surface.  My apartment still is too hot to make candy.  I am beginning to wonder if my thermometer is not functioning properly.  I will stop at the Bed, Bath, and Beyond on Saturday to get a new one.  If that still shows my apartment to be 78°F, I will next test a box fan to see if that lowers the temperature.  I have recipes in the waiting for molasses candy and barley sugar.  I found a reference to the use of "perlimpinpin" in barley sugar during the 18th century.  "Perlimpinpin", as far as I can tell, is a French term meaning fairy dust, magic cure, or false medicine (snake oil), depending on the source, although there is a French company that sells a spice blend called "poudre de perlimpinpin."  I am still trying to locate a recipe for this spice blend.

As you can see, I have been busy with everything.  Now, I just have to decide what I like doing and limit my activities to those things.

Chow for now.

PS:  Don't forget about my Suits and Soups Drive, which you can donate to by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments.